Feb 28, 2011

Tricking your friends into ROLLERDERBY

So I realized a long time ago that I am waaay beyond just having rollerderby as a hobby, I never really seem to do very good with just having hobbies, sicne I tend to totally go overboard with it. SO BE IT! I also realized that I had lots of friends that did not do roller-derby... and this was a problem, because they just did not really appreciate the drunk conversations about wheels, positional blocking vs. big hits and just all those things that I enjoy... So I decided that those people were either lost (I still ove them and spend time talking about other things) or people I could trick into coming over to the dark side (aka ROLLERDERBY).

I deemed my friend Trish and Em lost before I even tried, even if Em acctually LIKES to rollerskate, she just don't seem to be really into the competative element of it... and Trish.. well Trish probably just rather watch it and drink red wine. And I am FINE with that - but I have mede them both get on skates and go skating with me... but I leave them at that.

 (HussInsane having a summer jam on skates, picture stolen from Facebook)

My friend Jenny (aka HussInsane) was a different story, we used to live together back in the snowboarding days and compete about EVERYTHING, and now she was playing floorball... And I KNEW she would LOVE rollerderby, if I JUST got her on a pair of skates and too a practice. So I finally go her a pair of heavy cheap skates on e-bay and dragged them all the way from New York to Sweden and made her come to a Stockholm Rollerderby practice. And yeah... the rest is history... the rest is history... She is now a part of Stockholm Rollerderbys travel-team and very hooked, and now we have dragged Jessica (derbyname to come) into it too, it's like a drug mMmOHAHAHAHAHAHA.

(Shamelessly stolen from Ponys Facebook)

But then there is my other friend Mirijam (aka PinkPony) who I lured in with kitch, beer, friendship and white skates. And I am slowly working her into the derby grid... I actually bought skates on e-bay for her, to make sure she would continue...   She also lives here in Malmö and skates for Crime City, and she is also one of my friends from snowboarding. I really think that ex-snowboarders make great rollerderby-players - we like to look kool but are quite fearless at the same time. And Pony has some of the most awesome tattooes that I have ever seen - she will be great - when I start to kidnap her for practice... MOHAHAHhahahahahahHAhahaha

Yeah... there are so many things that are luring about rollerderby, the friends you make, how much you get in shape, the strategy, the funny and bad jokes people tell, the silly outfits people come up with, the parties, the dinners and just rollerderby itself... it just never sleeps... yeah...

Let's all go skate now... because it is GREAT fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment