Feb 17, 2011

Reflecting over rollerderby in Sweden

(This is what I look like when I say COOONCENTRATE)
I am in Gothenburg, skated on a supersticky floor in my Stingers yesterday, I been promised that the floor tomorrow will not be as sticky. The girls did a great job, and they seemed to gain one or two pointers from my practice... I am very much about basic skills, you just cannot skip basic skills, and I have done three freash meat periods, so I have done so much basic skills I can puke, but it have made me a better derby player. Rollerderby is best played if you don't think about your skates anymore, it should just be like wearing sneakers... and then when that level is achived there is hella lot of derby to learn... but remember to always know where your partner is... 

About Rollerderby in Sweden, it is on very different levels, I so far have not seen or skated with Umeå, or Lule, I know Visby has a leauge but it is my understanding that they are only four or five girls currently.  I have coached Stockholm Rollerderby, Malmö (Crime City Rollers) and Gothenburg Rollerderby (Göteborg in Swedish). Stockholm is by far the oldest leauge (2007) and also the leauge with most developed skaters, Gothenburg (Fall 2009 -Winter 2010) is a little older than Malmö (Spring 2010), but Malmö have been more fortune in their recruiting and managed to build a larger leauge with the monetary ability to bring in guest coaches in addition to having Vix Viking who had skated with the London Girls for a while. Stockholm now has a coach with a very long experiance and I think that is going to benefit them very much. It will probably bring the leauge together - but even before he came in, Stockholm was a very hardworking leauge brining in speedskaters to teach them strides, going to bootcamps and also having a structured training committee. 

Having a driven coach or two, seem to be very important, or a coach with previous derby experiance, this seem to be really important to lots of starting up leauges, ot it tend to end up being ''a blind leading a blind''. Who knows, I can only speculate - because the girls I saw in Gothenburg yesterday was working their ass off, and that is a quality I really, really value, hard work. Even if you are the best skater when you start derby, does not mean you will become the best derby-player... it is a HUGE steppingstone, but if you don't learn the game, you will be that lonely girl skating cicles around yourself.

So concentrate and think for yourself why you do things, and sometimes we do things because our coach tells us so, and then we do that to... some drills are used to work on your skills or muscles and not directly transferable into derby... and that is ok... just be aware of it!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment